Friday, November 27, 2009

Tails Again


Wow. There was a huge debate on the Healthy Aussies Group about tail-docking. I knew there are strong opinions on both sides, but I was surprised by some of the emotion on the pro-docking side of the debate. Particularly the argument, "If you want a tail, get another breed."
Here are some of the arguments brought up for docking:

  • Aussies are a tail-less breed.
  • No tail means no tail injuries, stickers, burrs, etc.
  • The breed standard says "Natural Bob Tail or Docked" No option for natural long tail.
And for natural tails:
  • Tail docking is primarily cosmetic.
  • Breeders should be able to choose whether they dock or not.
  • Lots of anectodal evidence for better balance, agility, communication, and hind-end health.
The subject of circumcision was brought up, too. Would it be hypocritcal to circumcise one's son but not dock the tails of one's aussie puppies? Maybe. (For the record, we're not going to circumcise.)
I think the above picture of Evan and Poppy playing Chase the Broom shows pretty clearly how, even at six weeks old, the tail is used to aid in balance and turning. I'm sure the puppies would adapt if their tails had been docked. But I like the tails, and I'm always happy to see the puppies using them, whether for balance or for reading their moods. And I hope the new owners feel the same.

No comments: